News & Events
We are always doing fun and exciting things here at Caxton that we want to share with you. From fun days out to fundraising, there’s loads happening at CYO.
Keep up to date with all our latest news and events through our blog, and don’t forget to follow us on social media too!
Caxton is looking for a new Chair for the Board of Trustees
Caxton Youth Organisation is a small charity with a huge history! Established in 1948 our story began as a youth club for young men who had lost their fathers in the war Fast forward 73 years, and we are now the only youth club dedicated to ensuring children and young people with complex needs are supported to meet their potential. We work with over 200 young people in Westminster every year, offering youth work programmes that equip our service users with the skills they need for independent adult life, as well as a place to make and meet friends, in a safe non-judgemental space.
Following the planned departure of the previous Chair, the Board of Trustees are seeking to appoint a new Chair to lead and support the organisation to deliver its much needed services and to continue to evolve our modern youth services and find a new and permanent home for our charity in the heart of Westminster, London.
This is an excellent time to join Caxton Youth, during a period when the Chief Executive and Board are working to refreshed strategic plans which we want your input into. With a naturally strategic mind, experience of operating at a senior level within an organisation and, ideally, with an understanding of charity governance, the next Chair will also demonstrate a commitment to the values and aims of the organisation and ensure the charity can continue to support young people through its vital work.
- The Chair of Trustees will be responsible for governance, reviewing strategy, policy and ensuring the organisation’s resources are used strategically to achieve its vision, mission and agreed results.
- The Chair will be expected to work in partnership with the Chief Executive and Board of Trustees to set the strategic direction of the organisation and ensure the financial health of the charity.
- The Chair will be expected to ensure systems are in place to take advantage of opportunities and mitigate major risks.
- The Chair will be expected to be involved as required in the activities of the organisation in order to gain a good understanding of Caxton’s work and impact on the community.
- The Chair will be focused on our ambitions to ensure we are a youth-led organisation, with a financially sound position as we plan our move into a new home by May 2022
- To ensure the Board of Trustees fulfil their duties for the proper governance of Caxton.
- To Chair meetings of the Board of Trustees creating an environment for a high performing board.
- To ensure that board decisions are made in the best and long-term interest of Caxton, and that the board takes collective ownership of these decisions.
- To ensure there is effective succession planning for the Board, Chief Executive and Senior Management.
Who we’re looking for
You must have experience of leading an inclusive organisation through a period of growth or change or significant experience of fundraising, your style will be collaborative and you will act as a critical friend when appropriate. You will need to be visible and work effectively with stakeholders as you will be an important ambassador for the charity and help the staff team to raise its profile and secure new funding to ensure the future of its activities.
- Committed to the Organisation’s cause
- Capable of seeing the ‘bigger picture’
- Well-networked and able use connections to advance Caxton’s strategic objectives
- Authentic Leadership
- Tact and Diplomacy
- Experience of committee work
- Strong Negotiation and Influencing
Remuneration: The role of Chair is not accompanied by financial remuneration
Term of Office: The Chair will serve an initial three-year term and be eligible for re-appointment for one additional term.
Time commitment: This is around 3-5 days per month, including attendance at quarterly board meetings, monthly 1:1s with the CEO, at least one strategy away day per year, and attendance at other meetings as necessary.
For further information and to apply for the role, please contact Rachel Akehurst, Chief Executive Officer: