News & Events
We are always doing fun and exciting things here at Caxton that we want to share with you. From fun days out to fundraising, there’s loads happening at CYO.
Keep up to date with all our latest news and events through our blog, and don’t forget to follow us on social media too!
CAXTON IS RECRUITING A FUNDRAISER
Job Title: Part-time (16 hours) Fundraiser
Length of Post: Fixed Term Contract (01/02/2020 – 31/07/2020, with possible extension to 30/09/2020)
Salary: £30,000 pro rata
Location: Flexible, with office space in Westminster, London.
Reports to: Acting Chief Executive Officer
Responsible for: N/A
The Caxton Youth Organisation: Established in 1948, Caxton works to advance the personal development of young people with disabilities between the ages of 11 and 25 in the City of Westminster.
The young people we work with have multiple disabilities, both intellectual and physical. They face multiple disadvantages, such as prejudice, exclusion, lack of employability or workplace skills, poor social skills and a high degree of dependence.
Caxton is a very fun, friendly and much-loved youth centre that offers four main programmes for our members: Independence; Health & Personal Care; Employability; and Opportunities. Working at Caxton is an extremely rewarding experience, from the young people to their families to our external partners, it’s a chance to be a part of something good.
We are seeking an experienced Fundraiser to develop and submit funding applications to trusts and foundations, businesses, individuals etc., and build and maintain relationships with new and existing funders. Caxton Youth Organisation’s fundraising needs are currently met by its Chief Executive Officer, but the charity will undergo a temporary reshuffle while she is on leave in 2020. As such, we are taking this opportunity to recruit someone who can make an impact on our small charity’s income generation.
Purpose of the role:
- To work effectively and collaboratively with the CEO and other Heads of Departments, as well as the Board of Trustees of Caxton Youth, to ensure that the charity delivers its strategy and achieves its objectives.
- To bid for trust and grant funding.
- To secure income to sustain Caxton Youth Organisation’s work through planning and implementing effective fundraising and income generation strategy.
- To ensure that the organisation manages funder relationships in a way that promotes Caxton Youth Organisation and enhances its image and role in the community.
- Working alongside the CEO and senior team to realise the future and sustainable development of Caxton Youth.
Income and Resource Generation
- To support the securing of income for Caxton Youth Organisation’s specific fundraising targets for the development of improved operations through planning and implementing effective fundraising and income generation strategies.
- To work with the senior management team to develop a funding pipeline, identify potential trusts and foundations to approach, write funding bids, secure sponsorship and generally raise funds.
- To report to funders and appropriate stakeholders the impact of funding secured.
- We have an outdoor base in Surrey that is too small and needs to be upgraded. The post holder will work with the Head of Operations to create a robust plan to develop the club house (hut) and to identify potential donors for subsequent redevelopment.
- To work with the charity’s Administrator and Acting Chief Executive Officer to develop and co-ordinate web-based fundraising, online auctions, and merchandise sales.
- To write applications and mail-shots using direct mailing to reach a range of potential and current donors.
Communication and Engagement:
- To promote and publicise the work of Caxton Youth to create meaningful opportunities for Young People with Disabilities.
- To work alongside the CEO and Board of Trustees to develop a strategy for communication with stakeholders to include targeted propositions.
- To develop and maintain relationships allowing the organisation to develop its facilities and resources in order to meet its beneficiaries needs.
- To develop and maintain positive relationships with private sector donors, statutory partners, and funding organisations.
- To promote and publicise the work of Caxton Youth Organisation.
Contribution to Strategy
- To work with the Acting CEO to develop a fundraising strategy for Caxton Youth Organisation’s new Afterschool Club provision.
- To work with Trustees to create and implement a strategy for individual and corporate supporter recruitment and development.
- To make risk analyses and balance time-cost ratios to focus efforts on the fundraising activities that are most appropriate and will have the highest chance of success.
- To ensure that no person suffers discrimination in access to provision as a result of their gender, ethnic identity, sexuality, disability and/or social background.
- To liaise with other workers and agencies in the area to create opportunities for Caxton’s members to achieve more.
- To meet any administrative requirements of the senior management team.
- To work within and according to Caxton Youth’s policies and procedures.
- To work in a supportive manner with the staff team, volunteers and trainees.
- To undertake training relevant to the post, as identified through supervision.
Essential Selection Criteria
Skills and Abilities
· Proven skills in the development of new ideas and projects from inception to completion.
· Willingness and ability to work effectively with the Board of Trustees to develop the organisation.
Personal Attributes and Other Requirements
Desirable Selection Criteria
- Experience of raising money from businesses in various ways.
- A good understanding of business and corporate social responsibility.
- Experience of community fundraising.
- A track record of developing and maintaining relationships with key supporters who can donate high-value gifts.
Please note that the successful candidate will be subject to a cleared Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check at an enhanced level. This check is necessary as the work involves dealing with or having access to children and vulnerable adults whilst undertaking normal duties. The candidate must also be able to provide at least two relevant references prior to taking up the post.
To apply please send your CV to email@example.com
2018 marks Caxton’s 70th Birthday, which is a huge achievement for our small charity.
To celebrate our birthday, we’re pulling together some stories about how Caxton affected families, past and present. We’re hoping that these stories will help us understand our impact, and plan better for the future. We’re also hoping that we can share some of these with potential funders, so that we can help secure Caxton’s future for another 70 years.
With your permission, we’d love to hear any thoughts, stories, memories or testimonies about the impact Caxton had on yourself, your children and your families. Anything about how our work together has helped and resonated with people over the years would be really helpful. Anything from a simple sentence to a few paragraphs would be appreciated.
To reply either email firstname.lastname@example.org or send a letter to:
Caxton Youth Organisation, Basement Clubrooms, Tintern House, Abbots Manor Estate, Alderney Street London SW1 4JF
How has Caxton affected your child’s and family’s lives across the years?
When did you/your child come to Caxton and for how long?
We will keep names anonymous but will share all the stories to help us grow stronger as much as we can.
Thank you in advance for your help. Hopefully we can contact you again for Caxton’s 100th Birthday!
This November, our members featured in a video made by the Department of Transport. It was created to inspire more disabled people to have their say in the Travel Accessibility Action Plan. Members have highlighted they do not always feel safe when travelling and they...read more
It is the start of a new year of activities and fun, but before we begin here are a few updates of what happened during the summer. June Half-Term In June half term, Robots took over Caxton! The institute of imagination arrived to show...read more