News & Events
We are always doing fun and exciting things here at Caxton that we want to share with you. From fun days out to fundraising, there’s loads happening at CYO.
Keep up to date with all our latest news and events through our blog, and don’t forget to follow us on social media too!
New Vacancy at Caxton
Employment support youth worker
Job Title: Full-Time (37.5 hours) Employment support youth worker
Location: Westminster and Residential trips, different locations
Reports to: Head of Programmes
Responsible for: this role has no line-management responsibilities.
Salary: starting from £26k pa
Hours: 1-9pm on Monday, Wednesday and Friday evenings with flexibility on Tuesday and Thursday during term-time. This role will require you to work some weekends.
The Caxton Youth Organisation:
At Caxton, we work with 11–25-year-olds with learning disabilities resident in Westminster. There is nowhere quite like Caxton Youth, that’s what the young people we work with, and their families tell us, and we passionately believe it too.
The majority of our work is delivered at our dedicated Youth Club in south Westminster. Our youth work team focus on young people’s social & emotional wellbeing, independence, employability and health & personal care. All these topics are addressed during weekly youth club sessions which take place in the evenings, and young people are supported to attend thanks to our very own Caxton minibus which collects and drops participants home across the borough. During school holidays we make use of our fantastic outdoor base in Surrey or go on residential trips.
Purpose of the role: To lead the Employment support programme and deliver a menu of sessions and 1:1 support to develop their skills, understanding and practical experience of the workplace. See the attached job description for details.
Skills and Abilities:
- Has a Youth Work qualification level 3 or above
- Excellent written and communication skills at all levels.
- Has a good understanding of different communication methods, including Makaton.
- Advanced use of Microsoft packages.
- Experience of project delivery with young people
- Experience of internal monitoring and evaluation of project outputs
- Experience of reporting to funders (desirable)
- Has a comprehensive understanding of safeguarding and confidentiality.
- A good understanding of issues surrounding young people with disabilities.
- Has an in-depth knowledge of the communication needs of disabled young people, specifically those on the autistic spectrum.
Personal Attributes and Other Requirements:
- Is able to work as part of a team and to use own initiative.
- Is willing to travel and to work unsociable hours, including evenings and occasional weekends.
- A highly motivated and energetic leader
- Self-starter, able to use own initiative to show insight and manage complex situations and processes between people
- Is dependable and professional.
- The ability to remain calm when working under pressure.
- Is willing to drive the minibus (Desirable)
Essential Safer Recruitment Criteria
Caxton Youth Organisation is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Applicants will be required to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post including checks with past employer and the DBS.
The time commitment is 37.5 hours per week. This will include evenings, the occasional weekend for trips on residentials. We also arrange 2 weeks of fun residential trips during the Easter and Summer holiday, where you’d be expected to stay overnight. All overnight stays are taken back in lieu, meaning the added benefit is you can take extra holidays or days off during the week. While sessions are at specific times, this role lends itself to flexible working.
When you are not required to be in a specific place for activities, we are flexible about working location.
Applications must be sent to Jessie Frost by Sunday 13thNovember at midnight, this includes:
• A CV with salary information for your most recent post and two referees, one of whom should be your present or most recent employer. We will contact them after interview if you are successful.
• A letter no more than 2 pages which explain how you meet the requirements in the person specification.
Application details please email firstname.lastname@example.org